Tuesday, February 7, 2012

30-Day Book Challenge: Day 19

Day 19 - Favorite book turned into a movie

 
Image via Goodreads

The Time Traveler's Wife. It's books like these that make me think twice about the old adage, "Don't judge a book by its cover," because that's the very reason I picked this book up. I was in Border's a few summers ago when they were doing their "buy two paperbacks, get one free" deal (oh how I miss Border's), and I plucked this off the shelf solely because I liked the way the spine looked. The cover was also intriguing, as well as the title, so I flipped it open and read the first page. Hooked. This book made me laugh and made me cry. It was a book that made me think and question certain plot lines as I worked out the overlapping timelines in my head, but not to the point that I couldn't thoroughly enjoy the story.

Then, of course, I found out they were making the book into a movie. With Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana, no less! Excellent. I wondered how they would fit all the intricacies of the book into the film, and of course they couldn't, but it was still a great movie. I definitely laughed and cried at the film version, too. I saw it opening night with my dad, brother and some friends, and I remember my dad looking down at me at one point with tears in his eyes. "Great movie, Megan," he half-joked. It was a great movie, but it made all of us cry. Well, except maybe my little brother. :)

No comments: