Sunday, February 5, 2012

30-Day Book Challenge: Day 17

Day 17 - Favorite quote from my favorite book series


I was actually going to pick a different Harry Potter quote (see below), but I couldn't find a cool illustrated quote like the one above. :) So, I'm picking both of them, and here's why:

Dumbledore's quote: Wow, talk about truth. Some people are born smarter than others. Some are born with more athletic talents. Some are born with more money or nicer parents or a job lined up for them in daddy's company. But really, though I firmly believe the circumstances of your birth do have an impact on your opportunities in life, it really is your choices that define who you are. Everyone has a 50/50 chance of being born into money or a stable family. But at some point, you have to stop blaming your parents for how you turned out, and start living your own life. Go Dumbledore! Such wisdom.


Hermione's quote: This is the quote I originally was going to pick, just because it's one I always remembered from the book. I always imagined Hermione and I were kindred spirits, as I, too, was always known as "the brain" in my circle of (mostly male) friends growing up. Although I definitely don't take for granted that school has always come easy to me, I acknowledge there are far more important things, and I love that Hermione put that into clear terms. I think I also like this quote so much because it echoes a little of Dumbledore's words above: There is a certain degree to which you can be born intelligent. Of course, anyone can do well in school if they work hard enough, but I believe there is a part of logic and intelligence that is simply innate. Friendship and loyalty, however, are choices that anyone can make. (And they should.)

P.S. - I could have also easily used one of my favorite Sirius Black quotes (which also follows the theme discussed above) but I already shared that one.

This one was hard because I've read so many great books, and there have been so many quotes that have made me stop and say, "hmm." What are some of your favorite book quotes?

No comments: