Monday, January 16, 2012

Recipe: Asparagus Pesto Grilled Cheese

Some people like to cook their way through cookbooks. This year, I want to cook my way through my friend Amanda's Pinterest board titled: "Simple Dinners #postgradlife."

But seriously, her pinned dishes look delicious. Tonight I stumbled upon this particular recipe, which I am dying to try. Unfortunately, I've used up most of my grocery budget for this month (hopefully the food can last two more weeks!), but look out for a review of this dish in February. :)


Recipe below is copied from here:

Asparagus Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

1 tablespoon butter
2 slices whole grain bread, very lightly toasted
2 slices Wisconsin Gruyère
2 tablespoons asparagus pesto (see below)

Heat a pan over a-little-below-medium heat. Butter one side of each piece of bread.
Place one slice, butter side down, in the pan, top with the cheese, pesto and the remaining slice of bread, butter side up. Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side. 

Asparagus Pesto

1 cup asparagus, blanched
1/2 cup baby spinach
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
4 tablespoons Wisconsin Parmesan, grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste 
Place everything into a food processor and puree.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Okay, this looks amazing! I love pesto!