Sunday, January 29, 2012

30-Day Book Challenge: Day 10

Day 10 – Favorite classic book

So I'm going to admit here that I'm not sure what necessarily makes a book a "classic." For the purposes of this post, I'm going to say it has to have withstood the test of time (at least 50 years old, I guess?) and something that would conceivably be taught in academia at the high school or college levels.... Actually, I'm just going to say it has to have been published by Penguin Classics at one point or another. (I had so many of those books growing up haha.) Does that sound reasonable? Good. So given those that parameters...

Alas, I did not read the Penguin Classics edition of this particular book.
Instead, I read the Signet Classics edition pictured above.

1984. It's been quite a few years since I read this book, but I remember being fascinated by it. The best part was that George Orwell thought 1984 would be this super-advanced Big-Brother state, and I always thought of it as "old-fashioned" with funny hairdos and Walkman players. Definitely a must-read on any bookworm's list.

Honorable Mentions: The Picture of Dorian Gray, Great Expectations, Little Women.
Classics I Did Not Enjoy: Wuthering Heights, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Grapes of Wrath.

No comments: