Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Good Eatin' at Standard Diner.

Photo via Standard Diner

Standard Diner "updates traditional diner classics with modern flair" and has been featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I went there with my dad two weekends ago on the recommendation of a family friend who has lived in Santa Fe for several years. After the lovely night we had, I highly recommend it if you're ever passing through Albuquerque!




The restaurant looks like a typical diner from the street but is actually very nice on the inside. (I think my dad and I sat in this exact booth when we went.) It's a quirky little place, where one of the only "normal" entrees on the menu is macaroni and cheese. Of course, they offer to spice your mac-'n'-cheese up with several options, including broccoli and truffle tofu or smoked salmon and New Mexico green chile. We started with an appetizer of Blue Crab Cakes with beets and cucumber-ginger sauce, then my dad ordered the Western Chicken Cobb salad (yawn! haha), and I had the Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash with sage and cranberries that I raved about last week.

The service was exceptional, from the host to our waiter. When I was asking about the quinoa dish, our waiter graciously offered to get me something else at no extra charge if I didn't end up liking it. (But I did!) I'm also guessing the customers are pretty nice, considering I accidentally left my phone in the bathroom and someone turned it in to the host! Whew. Overall fun atmosphere, good food and great service.

Location: 320 Central Avenue SE, Albuquerque, NM (near the UNM campus)
Price: $10 - $18 for entrees
Specials: 1/2 bottles of wine on Mondays. $25 prime rib night on Sundays.
Recommendation: Must-visit if you're in the area! 

No comments: