Monday, September 16, 2013

The Top 10 Books on my Fall TBR List

As much as I love reading The Broke and the Bookish, I don't typically participate in their Top Ten Tuesday link-up because I already have my own Tuesday link-up. But then I had a brilliant idea: Why don't I just post my answers on Monday and still link up on Tuesday? Genius! So here's my list for this week: the top ten books I hope to read this fall.

All images via Goodreads

First up: Serena, Ron Rash. I saw this book reviewed in a magazine and immediately checked it out from the library. I was finishing up another book and thought I'd be able to renew Serena, but when I tried to do so I was told it was on hold for someone else. This surprised me because I had never even heard of this book and the library had multiple copies, but then Jessica informed me it's being made into a movie with Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. So now I definitely need to read it before the film release. (And no, I'm not going to watch any trailers.)

The following six books will all fulfill categories in one or more of the numerous reading challenges I'm participating in this year. In fact, The Red Queen counts for two challenges, so that's awesome! (Three, even, if you count the A-Z challenge I signed up for, but I'm moving that one down on the priority list haha.)

The Uninvited Guests, Sadie Jones | The Red Queen, Philippa Gregory 
The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman | The Boy Next Door, Meg Cabot 
Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller | The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern

And finally, the last books I selected are books I started in the past year or two and just never finished. As part of my 24 Before 24 list, though, I really want to clean up my currently reading shelf!

Half the Sky, Nicholas D. Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn | Dark Star Safari, Paul Theroux 
The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver

Speaking of reading challenges, I need your help finding a few good books to fulfill the color challenges I signed up for! I can't think of any books with "green" or "brown" (or a variation, e.g. emerald, lime, forest, jade, beige, tan, chocolate, etc.) in the title. Do you have any suggestions for me?

8 comments:

Mandi Noel said...

The Red Queen has been on my TBR list since it came out. I just hated Margaret Beaufort's character so much when I read The White Queen that I'm having trouble getting myself around to it. I'm very interested in the time period and those people, but she's just so awful. haha

I actually read The Boy Next Door in high school. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember enjoying it. I rarely read that type of fiction, but I really do like several of Meg Cabot's books, including the Princess Diaries.

I can't think of a "brown" book (and trust me, I tried... you had me brainstorming in the shower. haha) but my favorite "gree" book is Anne of Green Gables. The Green Mile is another good one. You're likely to have read both, but those were the best ones I could come up with.

Anonymous said...

I read the night circus at the beginning of the year. Wasn't my favorite but i did enjoy it.
check out my list here:
http://caitstruelife.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-on-my-fall-2013-tbr-list/

Melody Simpson said...

Half the Sky is eye opening and just so touching. What a read. I still have to read The Night Circus. Good luck getting through your list!

Unknown said...

Meg Cabot!!! I have read most of her canon but not The Boy Next Door. She is my total YA hero :) I am going to Google the rest of these books since the covers look fabulous. The Golden Compass and The Poinsonwood Bible are both excellent. Stopping by from Friends Around the World :)

Amy | Club Narwhal

Sash and Em said...

We haven't read any of these but we should definitely get on The Golden Compass!

The Lady Okie said...

Ooo! I love this list. I've read 4 of these: The Golden Compass, Blue Like Jazz, The Night Circus, and The Poisonwood Bible. I love BLJ, read it a few times. I didn't like the Golden Compass so much, but it was an interesting read. The Night Circus was really good. I wrote a blog post review of the Poisonwood Bible. I'm interested to know what you think of that one.

I've had a few Philippa Gregory books on my to-read list for a while now, and I haven't heard of any of the other ones. I want to read Serena now! Interesting that Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are doing another movie together.

As for the colors, I really can't think of anything off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I do! That's a hard one.

Unknown said...

ah, the Poisonwood Bible is one of my favorites. I think that you'll like it once you sit down and start it again

fishgirl182 said...

I've never heard of Serena either but now I want to read it. :) And I still haven't read The Night Circus. I have a pristine hardcover just sitting on my shelf. I should probably get on that....

my ttt