Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Literary Junkies: September 2013

Note: If you stopped by for Travel Tuesday, don't worry! The link-up will go live at 8 a.m. EST. This week's prompt: How much of a country's official language do you learn before traveling there?

I'm so excited to be co-hosting the Literary Junkies link-up this month! I'm also co-hosting The Book Chat on Thursday, so this is just a lovely literary week for me. :) Literary Junkies is an online book club (active on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads), and we have a link-up once a month where our hosts and co-hosts (me!) come up with a few book-related questions for all our members to answer. Read more after the jump to see this week's questions and my answers!

1. What are you currently reading? Tell us about it!
I'm currently reading Skeletons at the Feast, but I really want to tell you about a book I finished last week and loved: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys. It's a historical fiction novel set in 1950s New Orleans that follows the story of a prostitute's literary daughter who wants to get "out of The Easy" and receive an education. I didn't know much about the book before I started reading it—just that it was in my favorite genre and I'd had a good experience with the author before—but it is now one of my favorite books I've read the whole year!

Image via @mcstroup on Instagram

2. Autumn is coming! What's your go-to drink when curling up with a book at night?
I love a good cup of coffee in the morning and a hot cup of tea at night. I recently bought a box of spiced chai teabags at Target, and I definitely haven't been disappointed!

3. Printed books vs. e-books: What are the pros and cons of each?
I've blogged about why I love my Kindle before (and probably will again someday), but I also agree that e-readers will (and should!) never replace printed books. I only prefer my Kindle when traveling for the convenience to both transport the books and obtain a new read if needed. Otherwise, I'm all printed books, all the way. I do miss the ability to look up a word with a single click now, though! The Kindle has spoiled me in that regard.

Image via @mcstroup on Instagram
4. Buying books vs. library books: Which do you prefer and why?
Definitely the library! Who doesn't love free books? I even checked out a GRE study book from the library the other day; genius!! I'm not a re-reader, so it doesn't really help me to have my own copies of books. Exceptions to this are books from my childhood that I want to save for my own children (including the full Harry Potter set, of course) or collections of books by my favorite authors (e.g. Jodi Picoult). Everything else I end up donating to friends or the local library anyway to free up room on my shelves.

Link up your answers for this month below! Be sure to check out the host blogs and make a few new book blog friends. :)







P.S. — Shameless self-promotion ahead: Have you seen my photo challenge for Banned Books Week yet? It starts on Sunday! Check out the details here. Also, I've been noticing there are a lot of #bookphotoaday tags on Instagram already, but I can't see most of them. :( So if you want to participate and your profile is private, let me know so I can follow you and see all your wonderful bookish photos!

9 comments:

Rach said...

Loving all the emphasis on books! I am a total bookworm as well! Thanks for linking up today!

Rachel from Brachel Boulevard

Jen Mc said...

These are all great answers.
Here is my link:
http://itsmylife-jen.blogspot.com/2013/09/literary-junkies.html

Anonymous said...

"out of the easy" is on my list!

http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/literary-junkies-9/

Taylor Bradford said...

I emailed a new linky code. Sorry for the technical difficulties! Not sure why the first one stopped working.

Megan said...

Out of the Easy sounds like a good book. I'm going to check that out on Goodreads after this. I love historical fiction, but haven't read a good one in a while. Your answer for #4 could be my answer. I completely agree.

Mandi Noel said...

Out of the Easy sounds really interesting!! I'm going to look into it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said...

Adding Out of the Easy to my "read soon" list! :)

List Addict said...

Thanks so much for co-hosting. I love coming over every month to waffle on about books. Aaaah. Bliss.

Unknown said...

I love the photos :) Great post! Thanks for doing this!