Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Best of 2014: Read

I'm a little nervous to post my top 10 books of the year today because I just picked up Leaving Time from the library yesterday, and we all know how much I love Jodi Picoult. But, The Broke and the Bookish is hosting a Top Ten Tuesday about the best books we read in 2014, and I just had to join in on the fun! So, pending any amazing books I may read in the next two weeks, here are my ten favorite books I read this year (all title links go to my Goodreads review):



My Name is Memory, Ann Brashares | This is my go-to book when people ask me for recommendations now. A must-read for anyone who enjoys time travel books and/or is looking for a good love story.

A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin | Seriously, how did I wait so long to read this book? I couldn't put it down. And in case you were wondering, it is way better than the HBO series. Duh.

Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein | It took me until halfway through this book to understand what all the hype was about, so if you don't fall in love right away, keep reading; trust me!

The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster | This was my only reread of the year, but boy was it worth it! I already posted about my love for this book here, if you're interested.

Hyperbole and a Half, Allie Brosh | I liked this book a lot. What else is there to say?

The Invention of Wings, Sue Monk Kidd | A beautifully written story of friendship, family and morality, and what happens when all three don't agree. These characters will stay with you long after you've read the last page.

One Thousand White Women, Jim Fergus | What a fabulous premise for a book! In the mid-1800s, the Cheyenne tribe requested 1,000 white women to marry their men and help assimilate the Cheyennes into "American" culture. This book explores the fictitious account of a woman who participated in a secret program through the government to do just that.

The Girl You Left Behind, Jojo Moyes | I was hesitant to try Jojo Moyes again after Me Before You (which was so disappointing, even though I know I am in the small minority with that opinion), but obviously I just can't get enough historical fiction.

Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand | The story of an Olympic athlete turned WWII soldier turned prisoner-of-war, this book is a perfect example of how the truth is sometimes more fantastic than fiction.

The Thirteenth Tale, Diane Setterfield | I haven't actually finished this book yet, but with less than 100 pages left, I am completely enthralled and can't imagine it not making my top ten of the year. After reading Bellman & Black earlier this year and being sorely disappointed, Diane Setterfield definitely redeemed herself in my mind with this story. As the book jacket says, this book is truly "a love letter to reading." And now I need to wrap this up so I can go finish that book!...

Bonus: I read Lauren Oliver's Delirium series at the very end of last year, but after I had already recapped my favorite books of 2013. However, I definitely think it's worth mentioning here if you like other young adult dystopian novels (e.g. The Hunger Games, Uglies or Divergent).

Have you read any of these books? What was your absolute favorite book you read this year?

Linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday and The Nashvillian for Two for Tuesday.

No comments: