Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Top 10 Books on my Fall TBR List

Are you looking for a good read to curl up with this fall as the nights get cooler and the drinks get yummier? Look no further! I've compiled a list of ten books I hope to read this fall, along with reasons you might want to read them, too. I acknowledge ten might be a little ambitious, considering I don't read ten books per season now and I'm starting grad school today (!!!), but if I did read ten books from now until December, these wouldn't be bad picks. :)


Something to celebrate your freedom to read. Between Banned Books Week and the start of the school year, September is the perfect time to pick up that challenged book you've been wondering about for years. Currently, the top of my list includes Their Eyes Were Watching God, Lolita, Catch-22 and A Clockwork Orange.  (Psst .... you should also join my #bookphotoaday challenge if you haven't already!)

Something new. I rarely read new releases (unless it's Jodi Picoult or part of a series) because I typically find books through word of mouth, so I don't hear about them for a few months. However, I am a fan of Lauren Oliver's young adult fiction, and her first adult book, Rooms, was released yesterday. Luckily, I put my hold request in months ago, so I'll be getting my hands on one of the first copies once the library finishes cataloging the new books. Woot!

Something that was recommended to you. I think I have read a positive review of Landline on every book blog I read. It's time to get to it! This will also be my first Rainbow Rowell, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Something that has been adapted to film. This year was a good year for book-to-movie adaptations. If I Stay and Labor Day are two such books I haven't gotten around to reading yet.

Something that has been adapted to television. Yes, I'm that person who won't watch anything until I've read the book, Netflix original series included (e.g. Orange is the New Black).

Something that is so long it's daunting. I waited to read A Song of Ice and Fire for years because the 800+ page count of the first book intimidated me. I knew I could finish the book, but I also knew I could read three other books in the time it would take me to read one of these, so I kept putting it off. But now, holy cow. I'm so glad I started reading the series. I'm almost done with the second book, which means A Storm of Swords is next on my list. This category could also be called continue a series, or could fit in quite nicely with the television category above.

What are you reading this fall? Are there any particular books you've been itching to get to?

Linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday, and Nicole for Treat Yo' Self Thursday

No comments: